I have been away from Cape Town for almost two months now. My heart is never far from my A-Team...the spectacular circle of teachers I am privileged to teach, support and learn from every week. Ladies, your messages while I have been away have lit my 'inspire', even the one asking for more Pilates socks!! ;)
So as many of you know, with anything I sprout forth, I am ALWAYS speculating about, and talking to, ALL of us - myself included. And I'm certain I'm stating the obvious but in putting it out there, perhaps our collective consciousness can promote union and focus.
Some Pilates Professional commandments I think we should agree to keep in the forefront of our minds:
A. Seek to be taught a good movement class every week! Practice what you preach, teaching from a strong place of feeling, experiencing and doing. It will keep you real!
2. Never teach more than 2 classes or 3 privates in a row. Clients deserve the fresh you and you deserve a cup of tea! Mastering our energy can keep the burnout bug at bay. We all think it but we need to please DO IT. Your reputation/business deserves it too. Keep the bigger picture in mind.
3. As a business owner, pay yourself a salary! We mush our personal selves INTO the business. Keep it realistic and clean, separate business finances from personal finances. If you have basic personal financial stability, you can face the business ups and downs with less emotion, more efficiency and creativity. Create personal worth.
4. Find another form of exercise or hobby to completely distance you from the analysis paralysis that intense Pilates teaching can become. Exercise other parts of your brain. The honed focus adopted by a Pilates Professional can over produce adrenalin which needs to be calmed within and from the system...choose your healing motion!
5. Factor in a client review/research moment somewhere in your day. Honour the privilege of working with people's bodies and give yourself this time to learn from your self consciously. Reflection is free learning!
6. Factor in an admin moment (or 3) somewhere in your week. Box it to manage it.
7. Research new record keeping/accounting processes to streamline the work load: Evernote, Mindbody, Direct Debit, there are even Virtual Assistants! Staying on top of the business of the business is JUST as important as being the face of the business. Do not ignore either.
8. Keep learning. Online resources are unlimited. Join a forum (watch this space Prime Movers!), find the answers to your questions, keep questioning.
9. Embrace social media professionally. It is the way forward to connect locally & internationally. Decide what you/your brand represents and punt it. Get your professional self out there!
ZEN. The greatest challenge...when things heat up, go slightly pear shaped and demand outweighs time...DO NOT sacrifice any of the above! Time manage creatively, yes, but I repeat, please DO NOT stop honouring what it is YOU NEED to be the best you can be. We are no good to anyone without putting on our own oxygen mask first!
We think grinning and bearing is what works but the byproducts of cortisol, inefficiency and sheer unhappiness take their toll somewhere in your wholistic health and wealth. Be resourceful, let's make our weekly chores/schedules according to this list & practice our Zen commandments.
So Pilates Pros, as with most things, what we see ain't what we get. Your job is immense, it certainly isn't just about the teaching hours. It's you physically, mentally; it's the finances, the schedule, the marketing; it's your continued evaluating, learning and processing. DO NOT lose sight of the whole package you are!
Evaluate, sustain and evolve your value.